If you’re anything like me, you want the exterior of your home to be lit up just like the inside. A lot of people forget about the fact that exterior lighting fixtures aren’t always going to be perfect, especially if you’re not the type of person to strap down and do a bit of research. There’s no shame in that, as plenty of people are exactly like you (or me!), and that’s why I’ve decided to put this product review together. When I set out to purchase an outdoor wall lantern, I wanted one that was going to really appeal to the community. It sounds strange, but the exterior lights that your home has can actually say a bit about your personality. People won’t even have to meet you and they can get a taste of what you’re all about, and that’s why I wanted the classiest lanterns possible (because I’m a classy guy, don’t you know?). Maxim Lighting was a brand that I’ve heard about numerous times, but I had never actually purchased a light from them before. As a matter of fact, this product was the very first one I’ve ever owned that was manufactured by Maxim Lighting. They really did a fantastic job, and I actually took it upon myself to purchase 2 of them.
The lantern has a lot to offer when it comes to the looks department, and that would go for double if you’re the kind of person who’s into that “carriage” sort of vibe. It looks like something that would be sitting on the sides of a royal chariot, and that’s exactly what I had in mind for my home. The height sits at about 20 inches, while the width is 9 inches; which was what seemed like the perfect size for the area I had on my wall. You can’t just head to the nearest Home Hardware and hope that the lights you end up buying will be the best fit for you, it never hurts to look a little bit deeper into the matter. You can actually just look at the features of a light and tell whether it’s good or not, because every single exterior light fixture (that’s worth the money you’re spending) should have these attributes:
- Affordable Prices – If they’re trying to charge you $400 per light, laugh in their face! I know the quality ones are going to cost you more money, but it should never cost you an extensive amount – that is just pure blasphemy! Keep it as affordable as possible, but don’t go super-cheap.
- Honorable Brands – The brands that are constantly popping up in your head should be nothing but reputable ones, because they’re the companies that understand what it takes to provide a quality product. Without experience/reputation, you never know what you’re going to be getting when it comes to a certain companies product.
- Longevity – Is the lantern going to be able to keep up with the constant battle against weather? That’s a question that needs asking, because buying a brand new exterior light fixture every single year isn’t an ideal situation (trust me, I’ve been there).
- Looks – If it doesn’t look good, why would you stick it on the exterior of your home? I mean, come on, we’ve all got a little bit of design-sense (right?).
If all of those traits above are covered, you can probably move forward with the purchase, and you don’t even have to worry about anything! All jokes aside, getting the right exterior light fixture can be a very important task to some. For that, we’re going to break down the pro’s and con’s relating to the Maxim Lighting 3496WGOB Carriage House DC 2-light Top Mount Outdoor 20-Inch Wall Lantern.
Pro’s & Con’s
- This lantern looks amazing, I loved the look so much that I put two on the exterior of my house (one above the front-door entrance and porch area, another at the backyard entrance). They add a classy little touch that my house lacked beforehand, and I’m happy with that.
- Has two relatively powerful light bulbs to make use of, so it’s not like there’s going to be a lack of light in any sense!
- Has an oriental bronze finish that is accented by water glass – a sleek look that many traditional lantern light fixtures have adopted
- Use it to light up your porch, patio or even just the backyard! The easy installation process allows for a seamless night of enjoying the light.
- Aluminum makes sure that the lantern won’t rust as easily (and who wants rust?)
- At its current price, it can be kind of expensive (when compared to some of the others you’ll find). This outdoor lighting fixture tallies in at $144 USD, which is a little more pricier than I’m used to (but I’m kind of cheap, so that’s understandable)
- The single bolt mount actually stops the light from not pivoting. That means that it has the potential to move, regardless of how tight you fasten the bolt. I got past this quickly, as it still didn’t move much for me (and other lights have the same problem).
All I have to say about the Maxim Lighting 3496WGOB Carriage House DC 2-Light Top Mount Outdoor 20-Inch Wall Lantern (yeah, that’s a mouthful) is that it’s the best outdoor lighting fixture I’ve used so far. I’m sure there’s better ones out there, but you may need to reach a little bit deeper into your pocket for those ones.